View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Re: What is worse? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Most of the attitude shown here is yours.
The only attitude I have is a direct result of the attitude I am referring to, that being what society shows to young parents or soon to be parents. I didn't accuse anyone here specifically of an attitude.

Quote:
Neatly side-stepping the question. You do this well. Do you have politics in your list of future ambitions, by any chance?
I didn't sidestep anything. I said I would post it soon. I simply had more important things to do at the moment, sorry I didn't post soon enough for you. and, um, no.

Quote:
What offends me is your assertion that adults over 40 should not have children.
I stated quite clearly this is my opinion. I also stated that if it works for you I'm fine with it. I just wouldn't do it myself.

Quote:
This statement does not hold water. The remark you made is offensive and ageist, and it would be regardless of the age of the person making the remark. Also, using a term like reverse ageism shows you don't fully understand the concept of ageism.
My statement was meant just as reverse racism. Those who feel the need to act against something that may or may not have been committed against them simply due to the fact that they are a different race. The movie PCU comes to mind..... "I'm black, I should be at the front of the line", "women have been oppressed for years, get over it"... and so on. These statements coming from whiners who have not even been a victim of the oppression they are going on about. If I was a 45 year old with a child and felt that way would I be ageist? Even though I would be talking about myself?

Quote:
You appear to be building an argument against prejudice towards teenagers who become pregnant, which is ageism because it is prejudice against a group based on their age, yet in defense of that argument you display ageism yourself against older parents.
I'm not building an argument, I'm asking for their rational. As far as ageism, if believing that younger is better than older is ageist then yes, I am, but considering that biology is on my side, I'm not. It does sound as though you have accepted the fact that "prejudice towards teenagers who become pregnant, is ageism". This is one of my main points.

Quote:
I will support and not demean your choices also. Does being young and inexperienced and self opinionated give you the right to make distasteful statements, and not expect or earn a reply in like fashion?
I made a statement that you found distasteful and would expect that in return. You were mocking me, which is not the same.