View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: My $ .02

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
Would work best for scheduling purposes during summer (kids out of school, no college, etc.) Late June-August.

Then, if summer months were agreed best, the location choice should take into account weather in those months. If some places are miserable at that time, that is a valid concern (I didn't make the 10th Anniversary, but understand there were some complaints about heat?).

Beyond climate, the location should have some general appeal. The type of place a family would probably be willing to drive halfway across the country for just on a normal roadtrip vacation, event or not. Of course anywhere you have to travel some distance to, you can find lots of good roadtrip attractions along the way (as I'm sure many did going to Lafayette, which by itself doesn't sound that exciting). The thrill is in the journey so to speak. But still, if the meet location itself has some great scenic appeal, tourist attractions, recreation, etc, I think it would be that much more interesting, and an easier sell for people with spouses and/or families.

Definitely a good thing to start the planning now for an event of this (hopefully) size. The key to attendance will be to establish that it is going to be something big - THE one event of 2007 that every SVXer worth his or her salt needs to be at no matter how far you have to travel. Plan early, plan big, and have people commit to coming.
I agree totally with everything MacGyver said; a central location, preferably with tolerable weather in mid-summer and other local attractions so that those of us who will be making this a "family vacation" can appease those family members to whom driving 15-20 hours to meet up with other SVX owners (regardless of how "special" the occasion) does not sound like a good time. Svxfiles and I have 2 teen-age boys, and getting them to go to Reading for a weekend is difficult enough.

However, having lived my entire life east of the Ohio River, I know next to nothing about the central part of the country. We need some input from those SVXers who actually live there.

Anyone with ideas or suggestions, feel free to jump in and give us the benefit of your knowledge and experience. This forum can serve as a "brainstorming" session until we come up with enough ideas to vote on.

I would be happy to help with anything, as long as it can be done "remotely", via phone, fax, computer, etc. I'm looking forward to breaking some attendance records. BTW, both of svxfiles' sons will be old enough to drive their own SVX's to this meet!

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint