Thread: Would this fit.
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 03:05 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
XP with 128 is dog slow, stick with 256 or more. Most new BIOS can be set to run only a quick test on the memory, meaning you could still POST with 1 or 2 gigs in less than a couple of seconds. The main hinderance in boot speed is the HD's transfer rate. Get 7200 RPM drives if at all possible, but go no lower than 5400 RPM to maintain a spritely response. The biggest problem I see with these setups is heat. The radio cavity gets no circulation what so ever and it can get nice and toasty even in the winter when you have the heat on. With the HD and CPU generating a good amount of heat, I'd look for a way to ventilate the area a little while you're at it.

KuoH

128 MB is usable. You don't want to go over 256 or 512 in the car PC. Why? hibernation is your great friend. The more RAM you have, the slower it shuts down/start up.

While HD makes a good amount of heat, you can not leave them in the car here where it is cold. In cold climate, HDD will take as much as 20 minutes to unfreeze and spin. You want a USB Hdd or solid state drive like CF drive.

You should be able to put entire OS plus maps and what not on a 4GB CF card and put your music in a seperate USB drive.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!