View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
It's an interesting idea, if you could pull it off without bankrupting yourselves. $25K for a SVX may induce sticker shock, but thinking of it as a virtually brand new SVX, with everything replaced/restored and a couple small bugs fixed, the price is not bad. Same price as it sold for brand new 15 years ago and in the same condition - really a bargain! And compare it to any other new or even used car for $25K and you will not find anything that does what the SVX does.

That said, there may be too much to overcome. Good value or not, anyone familiar with the SVX out there has the "going rate" for a SVX ingrained in their head. A SVX can be had for less than $1K up to $12K tops - with the majority being in the $3K-$4K range. The very rare sale up near $12K is the ultra low mileage mint condition ones. And those are the ones that collectors and enthusiasts-with-means are seeking - these are worth more to them (and probably to any future collector's market if one were to develop) than a fully restored SVX that legally has 100K+ miles and new paint/parts. A 29K original mile garage queen is probably going to be more desireable to a collector and your "true enthusiast" than a 95K original mile/0 new mile rebuilt SVX - and he can buy 2 or 3 of those for the price of a rebuilt one.

And one of the beauties of the SVX is it is built good and built to last. There are a ton of us here that claim our SVX is the best car we've ever driven - and most of us have 100K or more on the odometer. Now certainly we could change our minds if we got in the driver's seat of a freshly restored SVX and felt the difference a rebuilt engine and new suspension made - but until then we don't know what we're missing. And even if we did, there are a few things that can be done to bring our own cars up to par for a lot less cash (lower mileage engine, new suspension, etc). Same goes for reliability and repairs - it takes a long time to get up to $25K in repairs on a SVX and by then the $25K SVX could have a few breakdowns of its own. I know, you have said this is not meant for those "average SVX owners" for which just fixing their existing SVX is good enough to get by - this is for the special "true enthusiasts" that want a new SVX. But as I've said above, IMO the true enthusiasts would rather seek out an ultra low-mileage SVX that has been pampered with everything as original as possible. "Preserved" rather than "Restored". I could be wrong though.

All in all, on paper, $25K for a fully rebuilt and restored SVX to stock specs looks good. When you look at the price and what the car is and can do, it is a great deal. But at the same time it goes against the market and trends and people's perceptions, especially those of your biggest target market, unfortunately. I'm thinking this might be something best to wait a few more years on. The more time goes by, the harder it will be to find a low mileage SVX, or for that matter even a high mileage SVX that is in good condition. Eventually, we will probably get to a point where any SVX on the market is in need of serious work to be even the halfway-decent SVX that many of us have now. At that point, the idea of being able to buy a virtually new SVX may become more appealing. If the repair and restoration costs on the used market SVXes starts escalating, while one that is already restored by an experienced crew is available for just a few thousand dollars more, the odds will start to lean in your favor. Have patience, let the market conditions evolve to where it benefits your venture. In the meantime, your business is young and there is plenty of time to thrive and build up capital with all the goods and services you already have. When the time is right, you will have that much more experience to do the restorations quicker and more efficiently, and more clout in the industry to get good deals from parts suppliers and vendors so you can keep the prices down and your profits up.

Good luck!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...