View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Would this help to save fuel?

One of the simple ways I myself to observe if the AC is cycled is thru the cooling fans. My mazda AC blows really ice cold - I could feel that the AC kicks on and off thru the fans. I feel good on that.

My SVXi blow ice cold too (but not as good as the Mazda when on traffic jams). Once the AC is on, the both cooling fans are always, always running; they might go to different speed but I never seen them off, most of the times. I don't know...I actually don't like it, feel consuming alot of gas (feeling) and keep wearing out my cooling fans (shorten the lifespan)

I guess they are just the different system. But I was very positive, there're couple times in the cool mornings, my AC was cycled off a few times ... I heard the fans were off when it was on AC mode not Econ. Weird. But I actually felt happy on that....felt like it worked as my Mazda and Nissan On and off = enough charge = save more battery energy...
Yes as David says, the compressor runs all the time that the AC is on. The Wobble plate sets the angle,and the stroke of the compressor. It can be pulled up vertically, to just spin, without pumping, if it's cold enough.

There is a case of the clutch turning on the off. If the outside temp is too low, the clutch will cycle on and off to prevent the evaporator from freezing up. So it does do it under some conditions.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.