View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Would like to buy locally, or close: Grey Leather power driver's seat for 92 LS-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockleaf View Post
I would be a bit cautious using zip ties. It doesn't take a whole lot of time before the plastic they are made of grows brittle and snaps under constant movement. Upholstery pulls against its frame quite a bit. For security of your work just buy a set of hog ring pliers at harbor freight or a similar store. Hog ring is the name of the metal rings holding upholstery on. Most upholstery shops will sell you a bunch for a couple of dollars and then you can finish it the way professionals do. I tend to believe they have a reason for continuing to use the metal rings in what they do.
Hog ring, that's the name I was trying to think of for those rusty little things that left stains all over the underside of the seat!

Yeah, if you can get the proper tool and new rings and it becomes easy enough, might be the better route.

Once my seat was all back together with zip ties there was ZERO difference to stock and no one would ever know. It's been 9 years and every part of the seats is holding fine, but if I ever did get a new leather kit or something maybe I'll keep that in mind.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...