View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Registered SVX
Re: exhaust problems

well good luck on yours.
I got the front exhaust pulled off my 97 right now (took the front off from header to midpipe Sunday) to fix up the exhaust leaks.

My front pipes just after the pre cats are getting thin/rusty/shot, and the flanges to the main cat shot too, so replacing all flanges, and getting new pipes both sides after the pre cats. The one side right before the flange, on the top side was like swiss cheese with tissue paper thin metal. Getting some new bents and welded, that is some really heavy duty pipes so it will last.

also ordered new gaskets for the main cat, and the fronts to where they bolt to the header.

GOOD Luck
I am going to post some pics of mine before I get this back on the car and before the heat shields go back on.

does someone have a picture of the factory bottom heat shield for the main cat, mine was MIA, and I want to make one that is about like what stock was, need a pic.

an extra hot exhaust can be a sign of a timing issue…..are you sure your t-belt is on the marks 100%

when my 92 SS turbo had the timing belt off the marks, my exhaust would glow orange, until i found the issue and fixed it (bought that car that way)

Good luck on getting any good cats at a junkyard, all the ones I know of cut them off for the scrap price and EPA laws, they can't even sell used cats around here, only new at any business.

Don't run ethanol, it does kill the guts and clog Cats up, like hairballs

trying to get mine ready for a possible winter service if I go on and sell my 04 outback….? on that though. but would rather put this into backup winter mode than my BRAT…...
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K

Last edited by bheinen74; 11-04-2014 at 08:35 PM.