Thread: ABS Removal
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: ABS Removal

Try 10lbs-15lbs of weight where it matters most on a FWD bias car (in front of the front axle). You can remove and and put t's in there (I don't think we found metric ts so you'll need to flare and thread 'em in. You don't want to just start ripping stuff out without understanding the dynamics of handling. An auto SVX will outhandle the same SVX with a manual tranny as it was designed with that weight in the center down low for the auto. Loosing that raises your center of gravity. A basic tip is low weight between the axles is good, high weight and weight at the ends is not.

A diet of the some interior (though I wouldn't do unless you are planning on putting a cage in as some sanctioning bodies bump you into a different class requiring a cage if you remove), front and rear bumpers, all the unneeded bolts and nuts and your ABS will loose about 350lbs and raise your car about an inch on the springs. It will also change your brake proportioning (not for the better either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Just pull the ABS fuse, that will shut the ABS down and it will act like a normal brake system. You won't save much weight stripping the ABS out, since the largest component is the pump and valve body that is a few pounds at most, so I would just pull the fuse, or unplug the ABS computer.