View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A lot of things can happen to an OHC head when it overheats. You definitely need to take it to a machine shop for inspection. It could not only be warped but twisted as well. Don't forget, whatever happens to one side usually happens to the other - the cam journals may be affected as well. Some heads can be straightened and machined to take care of that, some can't.

Food for thought: since you have the head off, and the engine may have suffered other issues, you might consider dropping the pan and pulling the pistons. This will allow you to check the bearings and rings. Before you pop them out check for ridges at the top of the cylinders where the ring travel stops. If there is much of a ridge there you'll want to rent a ridge reamer and remove the ridges. Not doing that may cause the rings to catch and ruin the ring lands on the pistons. I don't know how many miles you have on the engine but if it were me, and the miles were over 80k or so, I'd give it consideration, especially if you're going to be thrashing it.