Old 04-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Stock vs. External Tranny Cooler

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsvx
I understand that the efficiency of the stock cooler is higher because of the liquid-to-liquid interface. However, the temperature of the coolant in the radiator must be far higher than ambient air.

Given the higher coolant temperature (I'm guessing 150 - 180 degrees F) in the radiator, and the lower ambient air temp (Santa Fe seldom gets up to 100 deg F), is the actual cooling effect (as opposed to cooling efficiency) of an external cooler higher than the stock cooler?
That's a very good question Dick.

[This is what people generally say when they don't know the answer ]

The stock liquid/liquid cooler is more efficient as you say, which means it is better at taking away heat than a liquid/air model. If the coolant liquid was as cool as ambient air, it would be a no contest, stock would win over the additional cooler.

The stock cooler has one big advantage over the add-on model, it can heat up the tranny oil in the morning to the optimum viscosity, and maintain it within the desired range, usually.

I have the extra cooler on mine, and the high viscosity of the cold ATF causes clunky shifts in the mornings.

What the extra cooler does in warmer situations, heavy traffic and hillclimbs, it will keep the temp from going too high, i.e. prevents heat spikes beyond the normal range. This stops the ATF from breaking down and saves our trannies.

In colder climes, the extra cooler may be overkill. Remember, the ATF has to be above a certain temperature range [150ish I think??] before the lockup clutch will operate in 4. Oil being too viscous is also sure to affect fuel consumption.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl