View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
I have to jump in here (as a tire building/unformity technician)

I usually am within 5-10 psi of the max cold inflation on all of my cars with the rear around 3-5psi lower than the front. I've never worn out the center tread before the sidewall doing this.

Pump 'em up hard, drive it, and then lower the rears a few psi at a time until the handling feels right.
Matt, you are saying what in effect is similar, if not the same, as was stated above.

While I defer to your inside knowledge on tyre construction, forgive me if, as a layman, I disagree slightly with the approach.

You are using the max cold tyre pressure as a yardstick, and working downwards from there. But each size of tyre can be fitted to 50, or 100 cars, which may differ in AWD, FWD, RWD and weight distribution.

The manufacturer recommended pressures may normally be low, and in the case of the SVX they are certainly low.

However, I believe that the difference between F/R pressures is usually set to account for front axle/rear axle weight difference.

I believe this difference should be maintained when going up in pressure. By all means play around with it, but if there's a 3 lbs or 4 lbs difference on the door sticker, best handling will usually be found by keeping this differential.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl