View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR
So much to say, so little time. (I haven't been on this list for sooo long).

First - I have used Fram on my SVX since it was new - all 153,000 miles minus the first couple of thousand. Have never had a problem. Though I had read that "study" years ago, Fram is still a respected name, has been around a long time, and I just can't believe that the product is as crappy as the "study" indicates.

Second, for those of you who do not remove the "belly pan," when you loosen the oil filter and all that oil comes pouring out, do you just leave it running all over your garage floor or spend more time mopping it up than it would take to remove the pan?

Third, if I not mistaken, the drain plug is at the rear of the oil pan. Therefore, jacking up the front would promote more complete draining of the pan than otherwise.
I never had a Fram problem either on any of the 5 subies I've owned and have also read the study and feel the same way you do. I did change from Quaker State after reading a bad study about that but it was mostly b/c I started using Castrol higher mileage oil

I also never remove the belly pan. I just use one of those Fake Butter containers under the filter when I turn it to remove it. Works great. I usually end up getting more oil on the ground from splatter if I take the belly pan off. It does take a little practice to get the filter on the first time though I do admit.