View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Just a thought.
What about running the engine for a while and then shutting it off and then dumping the memory?

Your problem with the ECU lends a liitle more belief to the 92's having that extra 50 horsepower

It appears Subaru didn't want anyone getting inside the ECU.
That's a pretty good idea. I'll give it a try.

I had a crazy idea the other day that it was to do with the battery voltage. It was working (to an extent) until the battery went flat. After I recharged the battery it no longer worked. So I left the headlights on for a while to drop the voltage a little. Didn't seem to make any difference.

I downloaded the firmware from my 92 TCU the other day. There are quite a few differences from the 94 TCU - although they are based on the same program. I can't help wondering if they made some changes on the later cars to try and stop the gearbox from self destructing.

I haven't got far enough with understanding the code to say what functionality has changed. It does raise the question of whether a 92 box would last longer if it was controlled by a 94 TCU.

I'm also thinking that it must be possible to reprogram the TCU the way that LAN does for the ECU. There is a space provided on the board for an eprom socket. It's got the same number of pins as the socket on the ECU. Maybe LAN's memory adapter board would plug right in there. If so, it might be possible in future to reprogram the TCU for different shift points which could be useful for those who have raised the rev limiter on their ECU.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II