View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 PM

I've owned several brands, and coilovers usualy last alot longer than normal stuts as they are damped heavier, and run more spring. This prevents bottoming out which can hork a normal strut in a hurry. Being stiffer they also have longer to go before they go away. The JIC's I had only STARTED to work ok with 15K miles on the clock, too stiff even turned all the way down. The Apex-I's were far better and going strong after a couple of years. The GPMoto ones start soft on setting 0, and are "steel bar" at the max setting. I had about a year and 10K? miles on them IIRC and still was working great at the lowest settings.

Anyhoo its a Subaru and has alot better body control/wieght bias than most cars. A SHO automatic for example could blow a set of koni's on the front in 5K miles thanks to them doing one genaric strut, and not having enough damping to control the wieght on the front wheels. Well that and the einbachs being designed for a 1989SHO which is 500lbs lighter and 300+ of that on the front wheels. As seen by most Subarus keep a modest amount of tire and the stock struts last near forever with normal street use. Of course put on big R-compounds or go hit a rally-X and stuff wears out alot quicker.