View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 05:55 PM

Re: car wont start...someone please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050 View Post
No i have not actually pulled a coil. How would I ground a plug outside of the engine? or can i actually stick my multimeter inside the coilpack? and Ive heard that starter fluid was less than ideal for my engine and seeing as how i had fuel pressure i figured it would be a dead end. Is there anyway fuel would be getting past my fuel filter and not making it to my injectors? or could there be a fuse or something that could deny the injectors signal from the ecu?
SoCal is right first you need to do those things. Unbolt one coil and remove the plug then insert it into the coil. You can ground the thread portion to any metal part of the chassis or run a wire between one of the chassis ground bolts and the threads of the spark plug. Have someone try to start the car so the engine turns over. You should see a spark at the tip of the spark plug. If it sparks it means that coil pack and spark plug is good, and possibly your ignitor. If it doesn't spark then it could be that coil pack, or the ignitor, wiring issue, or the plug (though you would likely see damage to the plug before trying it). So then you would try your other coil packs you could have more than one failed one or you could verify none of them fire (you can use the same plug you removed for the first one). If none fire or you get to a certain point with no spark then I can send the ignitor like discussed in PM's.

You should try starter fluid to verify two things 1) there is air flow getting into the combustion chamber and 2) there is fuel getting to the combustion chamber.

Starter fluid sprayed into the intake should allow it to run at least as long as the fluid is present. The fluid has to be ignited by spark so it helps verify that too. If it cranks over runs then dies then it is likely your engine is starving for fuel and why you can't get it to run.

Hopefully I didn't type any errors in here I was trying to keep it basic and simple. Hopefully others will feel free to add to this or correct as necessary.