View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Registered SVX
Re: car wont start...someone please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
I did a quick check but didn't find a test procedure for this part though you could do some poking for voltages and continuity. If you are getting no spark I would think it could be the ignitor. (see pic). There is a small chance I may have a spare you could use to see if it would work.
A very good possibility has been pointed out above.

The igniter is basically a quite simple device and comprises what amounts to six solid state relays, assembled within a single package. These relays are necessary, because the ECU is not capable of switching the relatively high currents, involved in supplying the low voltage required to trigger the on-plug ignition coils.

Each solid state relay is switched via a positive signal from the TCU and it would be possible to test the igniter by applying voltage to the input terminals and then checking the outputs. Precaution and understanding would be required.

With the igniter in place, it should be possible to confirm a pulse at each of the outputs to the coils. N.B. The output circuits ground the ignition coils and therefore the negative supply to the coils.

There has been mention of faults occurring in the positive supply to the coils. It appears that there is a concealed connection within the loom which supplies the left and right hand banks. There should be a constant positive supply to all coils when the ignition switch is on.

P.S. On checking back through the thread, it would appear that you have not confirmed that you have sparks.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-05-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: P.S. Added