View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Quick Change Shift Kit Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemgee View Post
Am thinking about ordering a quick change shift kit, but am curious if there is any negative effect on the already weak transmission. The last thing I want to do is make it weaker. Anyone know? I've read some posts on it but nothing seemed to really address this question. Thanks.
Giday Elemgee, The Quick Change has been used on about 70 SVX so far, in 6 different countries.. There have been no reported problems, due to its use. I would not recommend its use on a transmission that is already experiencing problems. If it is fitted to a normally good box, it can help to extend the transmissions life, but it cannot prevent the driver from abusing the car.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
How does a WRX or forester XT 4EAT deal with this shock load without using torque reduction?

Nate wrote: Change in transmission designs. Those use PhaseII transmissions that have had significant changes from the phaseI transmissions.
Nate the early WRX 94 to 97 and the 92 RS Turbo models here in Australia are fitted with the Phase 1 trans the same as the SVX . These did not use a torque cut, and have not had any problems that can be attributed to not having it.

Quote:
B3lha wote: Can anybody explain how disabling the engine torque reduction signal is good for the transmission? Because I would expect the exact opposite.

Presumably, the clutches slip during a gear shift, and the more torque you apply to them when they are slipping, the quicker they will wear out.
Phil to understand why this is so, you need to understand why Subaru did it in the first place.

When this transmission was used in the Sporty WRX and RS Turbo, the change was fast and solid, just what you would expect of a Sporty car. When the SVX was designed it was aimed at the higher end of the Luxury Grand Touring market. The same fast solid change did not suit this market, so they programmed the TCU to lower the line pressure during the change, to remove the solid engagement.

Because the reduced pressure would allow the clutch and band to do a lot of slipping to smooth the change, they turned the Engine torque down to prevent excessive wear. The result was that silky smooth gear change that suited the Luxury profile that they wanted, but at the expense of clutch and band wear.

As the Quick Change prevents the line pressure from being lowered during the change, there is no need to reduce the engine torque. So it converts the gear change to the same fast solid shift, as we had with the Sporty models.

Any fears of the transmission having shock loadings, is only in the minds of those that have not driven a car that is fitted with a Quick Change.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.