View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 10:46 PM

Registered SVX
Octane Rating !

In my youth I used to spend holidays with cousins on their family farm. The two boys, both older than me, were shade tree mechanics of the highest order. ( I love that term having learned it from you guys up there, probably Beav. ) The eldest cousin was nick named Digger as he came into the world during the first world war. It was he who introduced me to my life long interests, these being things mechanical, cars and electronics. Among other things he operated a pirate ham radio station.

Mechanics Illustrated was the bible for many a STM at that time and I turned up with a copy which featured an article describing how to set up a car to run on fuel oil. Yes as Ca$h will tell you, REAL LOW OCTANE stuff !

We were into the second year of the war and petrol was scarcer than whisky so that here was a project which must be followed up. My eldest cousin owned a home made half ton truck ( kiwi for pick up ) which started life as a Durant car purchased derelict, for about the going figure at the time for an hours laborer's wages. This had a Continental engine of some renown as these were popular with exponents of midget speedway cars.

Galloping Girty as she was christened was duly put under a suitable tree, actually into the implement shed and work commenced. A second carburetor was fitted on a T extension of the inlet manifold and a special fuel line run to this from a separate fuel system.

A hot air intake was arranged for this auxiliary carb. by means of a hot air box around the exhaust manifold. In addition the fuel supply was routed through a copper tube spiral also around the exhaust manifold and this was lagged to hold in as much heat as possible. A later refinement was to be the fitting of an additional head gasket to reduce the compression ratio.
( Get the general idea you shade tree experts )

There was great excitement when all was ready for a test run but it was suddenly realized that fuel oil was sadly lacking and being a Sunday the nearest possible supplier was closed for business. Not to worry, Ò lets give her a go using old engine oil !!! Ò

Now I had seen a destroyer laying a smoke screen in war movies but Galloping Girty left the NavyÕs best for dead. After warming up on petrol it was a case of bring on the oil and Ò make smoke Ò as was the call in best Navy speak. Attempts were made to improve things during road trials which involved much stopping and starting but were given up pending the purchase of HIGHER OCTANE FUEL.

During the following week my aunt and uncle went into town on sale day as was the custom and on returning had my cousins up on the mat. It transpired that on test day a neighbour and close friend of my aunt had her washing drying on the line to windward of one of our pit stops. She was not amused and a very unhappy lady !

I will close this saga on a rather sentimental note. Digger shortly afterwards joined the Air Force, became a pilot and went northwards to do his duty but sadly did not return. I confess that at this moment I am in tears as I miss him still. Galloping Girty never did get her second head gasket in Diggers absence and remained ever in the throws of painful pre ignition until she too went on her way.

If any bastard throws sarcasm at this yarn by the silly oldest old bugger posting here, he will have their guts for garters.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-20-2002 at 01:32 AM.