View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
According to the FSM 96 Supplement, the code P1702TCM is the "Automatic Transmission Diagnosis Input Signal Malfunction"

It says to check the harness between the ECM (electronic control module) and the TCM transmission control module)

Complete instructions are in the 96 SuppleMent manual, OBDII section 2-7b, pages 362-363. It shows you what pins on the connector to check and what the voltages should be. I have the feeling that without the TCM connected, you are reading an open circuit, rather than a short.

So I guess your O2 sensors, cats, etc. are functioning normally

(Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hard wire an inline switch to the CE light to be able to turn it off at times like these?)
Yeah, the sensors/cats etc are fine. I'm guessing the open circuit could cause this, however it was still giving this code when the TCU WAS CONNECTED, which is why I disconnected it. I imagine the TCU was pissed it didn't have a transmission to speak with. I wonder if its possible to get around with some technical workarounds. I don't have a supplement manual, but the reference is much appreciated. I wonder if I could get a dealer or mechanic to work with me on this. Probably a shop specializing in electrical stuff if I could get my hands on the manual and go over it with them. After having a total of 16K into the car after tranny and purchse of the vehicle itself, I'd like to be able to keep it on the road!