View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 07:46 PM

Do your own diagnostic

When my a/c was leaking I invested $35 for fluorescent light and goofy yellow glasses, plus $5 ($8?) for Interdynamics dye, plus another $20-25 for an Interdynamics a/c recharger w/gauge.

After charging and dying via the low-pressure port, I spent a couple of sessions looking over the whole a/c system before I finally found the slow leak. It was small and well-hidden, especially because the leak was soaking into the foam on the passenger side of the radiator.

When I brought it into to the dealer (my first-time at the dealer with my new-to-me SVX), I explained to the "receptionist" (whatever you call those guys who write up your order) exactly where the leak was, showing him a picture of the part from subaruparts.com. He said their mechanics would need to do their own diagnosis, blah, blah, blah. Once they did, however, they concurred with my findings and replaced the part, the pipe running vertically along the passenger side of the of the radiator. The dealer charged $277, parts and labor, but I paid only $100 because of my extended warranty. (Plus my diagnostic costs.) I felt like I came out ahead because I KNEW where the problem was and therefore felt in control of the transaction.

Good luck!