Thread: Duty Solenoid C
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Duty Solenoid C

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
96 SVX: I periodically get the 16 blinking lights and then run the diagnostic and get code 24 - duty solenoid C. In reading old posts on this subject, most indicate a sympton of binding in turns. I don't know why locking into awd should produce this symptom. This should be a problem between left and right axles, not front and rear, I would think. Anyway, I get no symptoms at all. Any problem with just continuing to drive it? Sometimes, when I get the 16 blinks, I restart it a few times until it doesn't blink and then drive. Is there anyway to actually know when the car is actually in the awd drive mode with I assume a 50/50 split of power. I know some awd cars vary the power to each corner. In the SVX does it just vary the power between front and rear? The car has just a little over 100K on it and this is the first sign of a transmission problem. The car is completely stock. I have not installed an external cooler or filters. I do have the transmission flushed about every 30k and use RedLine fluid. Have had my share of wheel bearing problems - 5 on the left rear and 2 on the right rear replacements. Only replaced the rotors once. Have had the car since new.

Jack,
One way to test for AWD-ness is to find a place where you can put your front wheels on the grass and your rear wheels on pavement, then, punch it (not floor it, just punch it a little). If you move immediately, you're golden. If your front wheels spin, you're looking for repairs.

The split on the SVX (I believe) is 90/10 up to 50/50. Transfer is from front to rear. The LSD takes up the slack of the "per wheel application" ratio found in later model cars.

Sounds like, perhaps your Sol C is "sticking." Perhaps sa good tranny treatment could loosen it up a bit. Otherwise, it'll cost you about a grand to have it replaced at a reputable shop.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI