View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

SVX on TV (maybe)

This is a long story, but I'll cut to the chase.

A buddy of mine from college (Mike) was visiting me (Nate) here in Tucson this last weekend. He lives in Washington state and wanted to see all the "Old West" we have to offer here. 90% of the "Old West" is tourist crap, but that didn't stop us from loading up the SVX and heading to Tombstone.

As we are heading towards Tombstone we spot a hitchhiker on the side of the road. As a good samaritan (it was about 100 deg. outside) and curious why the hitchhiker had a film crew, we stopped. The nice fellow (Doug) asks if we want to be on TV. Answered "Yes". The crew proceeds to outfit the SVX with cameras and microphones and shoves a coffin-box of A/V gear in the trunk. Mike and I sign our release forms and we head out with Doug shoehorned in the back seat, following a rental van with a huge camera pointing out the back doors.

I didn't know this at the time, but our passenger was Doug Stanhope, comedian. Doug hosted The Man Show with Joe Rogan and a couple of "Girls Gone Wild" videos and he did some other stuff he talks about on his webpage (www.dougstanhope.com). They were filming for a pilot episode (that's what they told us anyway) of a Travel Channel show (oh, joy) called "Hitched" where Doug hitchhikes around BSing with people who pick him up.

Having a prefessional stand-up comedian as you travel the highway to Tombstone Arizona is pretty damn funny. Once in Tombstone the film crew decided they liked us and hooked Mike and I up with microphones and sent the three of us out on the town, complete with camera crew following us around. Touring Tombstone and drinking beers with said comedian is a nearly lethal combination. I haven't laughed that hard for a long time. The man is ruthless.

There will be some pretty funny stuff if the show airs, but about 50% of the converssation can't be aired. It was very...raunchy. Goodtimes. Oh, and the production picked up the tab!

Anyway, the point of the story is this: If the show gets picked up my SVX will be on TV. Yay.

Goldie sets up the cameras and mics for the three of us.

All the recording gear in the trunk.

Mike, Doug and Me.