View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX
Re: Top Gear USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx View Post
I think the problem with the early episodes of Top Gear USA was the simple fact that they WERE trying to copy the formula of Top Gear UK. They even found presenters who bore a resemblance to the presenters of UK.

However, what they lacked was the ascerbic wit that the three UK presenters have. There's also the fact that the very kind of humour that the UK show relies on is quite often at odds with what American audiences expect. There is definitely a subtlety to British humour that even the most "euro-savvy" Americans tend not to get. I know there are often times I am laughing at something that my girlfriend fails to get, but she is in no way slow or stupid; just raised with different expectations of what's funny.

As they got into the later episodes it DID get better, mostly because they weren't trying to be Top Gear UK with American accents. It was also because the presenters started to get more comfortable with one another. That makes a big difference.

If you've ever seen Top Gear Australia, it's quite different to both... though I'm sure US will find it's "groove". The Australian show took the format early on but really took it in a different direction from day 1.
i agree they deff got better as the season went on...when they stopped trying to be "Top Gear UK with American accents " either way im looking forward to the season premiere

1992 dark teal SVX LS