View Single Post
Old 11-13-2002, 07:40 AM
billgiller

Talking Great Garage Gurus Found

Several months ago, I decided to take on my wife's '92 SVX with 124k on it rather than encumber us with a new debt for a WRX. Before doing so, however, I took it to the much touted SVX xavant here in Frederick, MD and asked his opinion of its roadworthiness.

"3,000 bucks should take care of all the problems," said he. "New gaskets throughout, tires, lights and, of course, the tranny.

Wow! That was more than I had envisioned.

"Maybe, you should get a second opinion," wife said.

So I asked around and a friend at the Honda repair garage that takes care of my wife's CRV suggested Danny and Claude at Flint Hill Service on a back road eight miles out of town. She said they're really up to speed.

So they looked it over and said: tires, wipers, and clean the headlights.

No gaskets? No, it's tight as a tic. No, $3,000? No, more like $500. I bought the tires at Tire Rack, they installed and balanced them, they installed the wipers and I cleaned the headlights.

So, Monday I'm leaving the BestBuy parking lot and the tranny goes. AAA ferries it to Flint Hill while I envision Second Mortgages, BIG Second Mortgages. The next day Danny calls - all fixed; come and get it. Not $2 - 3,000, but $75. A hose parted and dumped 7.5 quarts of tranny fluid behind me, and they fixed it - simple!

I'm afraid to tell you more about them because I may never get to use them again; they'll be so booked. BUT: Danny and Claude,
Flint Hill Auto Service, 2752 Park Mills Rd, Adamstown, MD 301-694-9323.

billgiller