View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Picked up our first SVX

Congrats! A few quick fixes:

Hood:
new struts are available for the hood. A subaru dealer can get them... might be costly.

Trunk:
You might have the valet key. Will the key open or lock the glovebox? If not than have a regular key made and you can get into the trunk. The latch on the trunk also may be locked to prevent it from being opened from within the car... have you tried the trunk release to the left of the driver's seat? Once you get the trunk open make sure the latch lock is not set and you can open the trunk from within the car.

Steering Wheel:
There are 3 controls for the steering wheel adjustment. The one most people confuse with the up and down adjustment is called "lift"... just to the left of the steering column. That is used to get in and out of the car easier... pull it towards you and the wheel will lift up. Pull the wheel back down to lock it into place. That adjustment lever is located under the steering column.

Struts:
Not good news here. The options are few. Factory struts can be had, but the consensus is that they have been sitting at the Subaru parts warehouse for over a decade and are starting to go bad! One solution is Koni strut inserts, which I have done. Expensive... probably over $1000 after installation. Another solution is custom made coilovers... and you can more than double that $1000 figure.

The service is good... keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrady View Post
My husband and I picked up a green '95 SVX L AWD for our 2nd winter car/DD. It has 168k on it. The hood has to be held up, the trunk doesn't open (might be frozen shut), the steering wheel tilt feature doesn't work (it won't lock into place), 3 of the struts are bad.

We are gonna do a service on it: t-belt, other belts, pullies, water pump, t-belt, tensioner, tranny flush.

What brand transmission fluid is best? Where is the best place to find struts?

Melissa

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 02-25-2010 at 10:26 AM.