View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Now I know you guys like those cars, but I hafta say before I bought the SVX, I thought the XT6 was the ugliest car on the planet.

Now that I am a registered Subaholic, I have changed my view on this. I still think it is the ugliest car ever to be released [closely followed by the Delorean] but there is probably a reason under that uninspiring skin why people like them.

Joe
To be honest Joe, I used to think that the XT's were ugly too....but they kind of grow on you, the cockpit, is one of those things that gets you hooked, once you get past how different everything is laid out...it's all perfectly placed.
And they had the lowest coefficient of drag ( 0.29) at it’s time of release (1984) and I believe held it till the SVX came out.

Joe, you owe it to yourself to find one and drive it for a day, then let me know what you think about them

Quote:
Originally posted by montypython
Huck, some questions:
1. I want to replace the oil pan gasket, but it looks like quite a job. What do you think.
2. Like I said, the front driveshafts need replacing. Have you ever done this on the XT6. What problems could I run into.
I think the XT6 is a hell of a car and a real blast to drive. Fortunately, mine is not cursed by the rust demon so I expect to keep it for quite a while.
[/B]
Colin, I'll try to field your questions

1. The Oil pan Gasket will be hard to do with the motor in the car, as you can’t drop the pan enough to clear the oil pick up tube. Are you sure it’s the oil pan gasket, as the valve cover gaskets are bad to start leaking when they get some age on them (just replaced mine cost ($35 at a local parts place), this fixed 90% of my oil leaks. Also a problem gasket is the oil pump o-ring, which could easily be mistaken for a bad oil pan gasket, and can be changed in the car relatively easily .

2. The front Axles come out just like the SVX, so if you’ve done them on your SVX it’s pretty much the same. If you haven’t done them the only thing unusual you’ll need is a punch to knock out the roll pin in the axle.

I agree on them being a blast to drive, I enjoy driving my XT6 around town better than my SVX…but out on the open road the SVX wins...hands down
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"