View Single Post
Old 04-08-2002, 08:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
The timing belts on these cars are a breeze compared to others. I guess you can pull the fans if you want but I didn't find it necessary.

The way I pull small seals is to carefully drill a small hole in the seal, not gouging the crank or seal land. Then insert a small 90 degree or hook pick into the hole and pull the seal out.

A good seal installer can be had for a buck or two at your local muffler shop. Take your new seal to them and ask them to cut and size a piece of scrap (new) pipe to drive the seal in place. Voila! Make sure you grease the seal's I.D. before installing, otherwise it will dry-burn and leak soon afterward.

I don't want to sound like an old record but if you haven't changed your PCV valve in a long time this would be the time to do so. I can't tell you how many mechs I've watched fight new seals into engines, rear axles, etc. and not check the venting systems. A few weeks later another seal will be leaking... this week the crank, next week a cam seal, shortly followed by a gasket, yadda, yadda...

This is a fairly easy job that might take you a while the first time around but with a little planning and patience you'll get a great sense of accomplishment and save enough bucks to buy a round or two in July (hint, hint )

Beav

p.s. I see you broke the mil mark - Congrats!
Not quite the 'mil' mark - but getting htere, thanks!

Okay, so the seal sounds pretty easy to replace. I basically just pull the old one out and put the new one in. Okay, I can do that!

Hey, if I muck it up, I'm not too proud to have it flatbedded to Ann Arbor Subaru to clean up after me.

Thanks for your advice on how to set the new seal. Does it require much force to get it in? I'm worried that with the radiator there I won't have the room to swing a hammer. I wanted to replace the coolant anyway, so should I just pull the radiator, too?

Oh, and as long as I'm in there, should I replace the water pump? My car has 129,000 miles on it, and I am pretty sure the water pump is original.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! One more question:

How do I get the crank pulley off? Is it just going to stay put while I remove the bolt or is there a tool necessary to keep it steady?

Thanks!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 04-08-2002 at 08:09 AM.