View Single Post
Old 04-05-2002, 08:32 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The timing belts on these cars are a breeze compared to others. I guess you can pull the fans if you want but I didn't find it necessary.

The way I pull small seals is to carefully drill a small hole in the seal, not gouging the crank or seal land. Then insert a small 90 degree or hook pick into the hole and pull the seal out.

A good seal installer can be had for a buck or two at your local muffler shop. Take your new seal to them and ask them to cut and size a piece of scrap (new) pipe to drive the seal in place. Voila! Make sure you grease the seal's I.D. before installing, otherwise it will dry-burn and leak soon afterward.

I don't want to sound like an old record but if you haven't changed your PCV valve in a long time this would be the time to do so. I can't tell you how many mechs I've watched fight new seals into engines, rear axles, etc. and not check the venting systems. A few weeks later another seal will be leaking... this week the crank, next week a cam seal, shortly followed by a gasket, yadda, yadda...

This is a fairly easy job that might take you a while the first time around but with a little planning and patience you'll get a great sense of accomplishment and save enough bucks to buy a round or two in July (hint, hint )

Beav

p.s. I see you broke the mil mark - Congrats!

Last edited by Beav; 04-05-2002 at 08:39 PM.