View Single Post
Old 04-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have to do this too The timing belt has to come out to do it. I plan on changing it at the same time. I have done timing belts on two 2.2 engines and had the dealer fix the leaky front seal on the 97 OBS. Awhile ago that was.

Lets see goes like this..... Take out the cooling fans, take off the belts, take off the main crank pulley. I used a big strap wrench (brorrowed) to get the bolt off. It was really tight and good size breaker bar. Strap wrench on teh pulley and breaker bar on the bolt. Then the covers come off and the timing belt is in there. Some of the little 10mm bolt (head size) broke out of the plastic when removed Last person had gotten them too tight. JB Weld is good for a repair.

The belt comes out.... well on the 2.2 the tensioner and idle pulley come out and then the belt falls out. the tensioner had to be compressed and the belt is well mark for installation. So I am thinking the SVX is similar to the 2.2.

Front oil seal...... is in the front of the oil pump. The oil pump has the main crank through the middle of it. On my OBS the seal was pushed out which meant the pump was going bad. A plate in the back had come loss and too much pressure was pushing out the seal. So...... I am thinking about doing the oil pump on the SVX.

If you do just the seal then you need a sleeve to push the new seal in. It has to have the right ID and OD (close in size to the hard part of the seal) so that some force can be applied to set the seal in using a hammer on the sleeve. I think I would maybe take the radiator out also to have a little more swinging space. The sleeve has to be long enough to clear the end of the crank shaft.

Might also ventrue into cam shaft seals at the same time but I don't know about the pullers for this.

Just some thoughts as I have not done it yet myself.