View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 10:10 AM

Is this the one in White Planes or Denville? Sounds like Denville.

The one in White Planes was simply a mess! Body damage everywhere (also caused by a "friend"). Where do people get these friends that wreck their cars? Why would a buyer care if a friend caused the damage - I don't get it. I passed on this one.

The Denville one was better, but I had a few issues that made me uncomfortable. The Transmission was supposed to have been rebuilt by the shop where the car was parked (Lee Myles?). I used to live in that area when I was a kid and the shop has been there as long as I can remember, so I think they are trustworthy.

However, the car has (had?) a cracked windshield (about $900 to fix), there was a lot of previous body repairs (look at the door jambs), the sunroof stuck, the truck did not open (who knows what's in there). I offered the guy $2500 and he passed without a counter offer. I would have gone no higher than $3500.

This was two months ago and he said that the car had been sitting for months. So I would say it has not been driven in about a year...

I ended up getting Pearl (the previous owners name for "her") from a user on this board in Clifton. Other than two cracked converters, All's well.

Everyone who wants a Penguin (as I obviously did) should know that repainting a panel Pearl White is almost impossible to do at this point. These cars are more than 10 years old now, and the paint will have faded away from the original color. Pearl paint is a three step process and very hard to adjust for subtle shade differences. To make it look right, you will most-likely be painting the whole car.

- Oliver

Last edited by elvis; 09-24-2004 at 10:12 AM.