View Single Post
Old 03-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Superbeast

Engine vibrating ?

Ok. Now I thing I have found the resone for all my little funny problems. I thought I had a hesitation wile crusing at 3,000rpms at slow speeds, I thought I had a thumping in the rear end when driving up my driveway in first gear at about 2,000rpms, and I could not get my damn shifter to stop ratling. Then thursday night I installed my STI tranny mount and found out that all the problems are actually the engine shaking. You can feel it a little at an idle it sounds like two distinct thumps, then as you bring up the rpms at around 2,000rpms it really bad, starts rattling things inside the car. It stays that way up till about 3,000rpms and it starts to get to the point where it's spinning fast enough to make the vibrating fade away. It becomes a rythmeck hum.

Now it dosn't seem like a skip at all, the motor runs great. I'v heard that the STI mount makes a little more noise but this just dosn't seem normal at all. I want to think that maybe the flywheels out of balance, but that dosen't seem likely becouse it came off my Legacy and seemed fine on there. I allways assumed that 2.2s and 3.3s where internally balanced and the flywheels do nothing to balance the engine,right? And I haven't heard any one else complain of this problem when they did there 5speed swap.

So any info on what the cause might be will be appriciated. Only 3 weeks left and I got to get this thing straitned out.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!