View Single Post
Old 06-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Unhappy A fatal error occurred in my engine today

The SVX overheated last summer at which time I flushed the radiator, replaced the hoses, t-stat, and cap. After the job was done, everything was A-OK for the rest of the summer.

Today, the first HOT day in MI (88-90), I saw the temp needle climbing after getting off the freeway. Made my appointment and then checked the car over. No fluid loss, no leaks, both fans operational . Called my local dealer and cautiously drove the 25 miles with the windows down and the heat turned up. Even while moving at 70+ speeds the temp needle rose and fell repeatedly. Got to the dealer and opened the reservoir to find black goo on top of the fluid. Quick inspection leads me to conclude its a head gasket, though these guys have seen a block catastrophically fail down cylinder #1 after an overheat.

I'm unsure what to do next. She's got a 143K on her and has served us well. My wife is her pilot on a daily basis (for the last 7 years) and would like to get something else. I have a garage FULL of performance parts and stock parts (including the smashed white SVX pictured in my locker). Fix her, dump her (at which point I'll have the mother-of-all SVX garage sales), take the SVXTypeR route and build the **** out of her. I don't know and I'm seriously disheartened right now.

Just wanted to get it off my chest.

Todd