View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 AM

Re: help me get it back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
How come the engine cranked OK, but later you decided that it was necessary to replace the cable to the starter and the battery ground?
If the negative wire grounding the battery to the chassis became heated to the point where the insulation, battery tray and battery housing were damaged, a very high current short circuit must have occurred from battery positive to ground.
the starter would engage when keyed. Hondasucks mentioned that the overheating chassis ground is usually due to a corroded wire on the starter ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Everything indicates a substantial short to ground in the lead to the starter, or within the starter. Please advise exactly why you replaced the cable.

You advise that all fuses including the main fusible link remained intact. Therefore the only other possibility is a short circuit at a point in the main battery lead before the fuse box, or within the fuse box bus connections, before the fusible link. A burnt out connection within the fuse box could be the problem, but it is difficult to comprehend how a direct short to ground within the box could be likely.

As you have not mentioned anything, one must presume that all things electrical are OK and presume that the engine cranks OK except for “engine start up“, i.e. the engine will not start/run. Do the fault indication lights illuminate as a test function, as is normal when the ignition is turned on? Are all electrical items functioning normally?
All other electrical circuits are working ok.

Newest development. The battery ran dead after trying to crank it and testing it. I charged it up and installed it. The CEL came on and the car started up. The power light flashed. Have yet to pull the codes. Wife drove it away and I was following. It died again on the freeway. same no CEL condition as before. Tried fiddling with the battery wires and the fusible link and checked the ground connections. Nothing
I called AAA and had it towed to a auto electric shop. Of course when it arrived at the shop, the CEL came on and started fine. The power light flashed again. It was 10:00 pm and I did not have time to risk driving it around to see what was up with the tranny. Will call the shop tomorrow and see if they can diagnose when is going on.

Any reason something it the tranny would cause power to stop going to the ECU?

thanks

BW