View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

AGree 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deviant

You don't necessarily need to see oil in the water/water in the oil... My SVX had similar wacky overheating... Random, unpredictable overheating...

If you aren't seeing the normal signs, but can't figure it out (after replacing the thermostat), have your shop stick a gas analyzer in the radiator filler spout (not sucking coolant, mind you, as that is bad)... If they see HC in there, bingo. I stuck the analyzer in my radiator filler spout and got HC readings. A quick 5 second test... After pulling the heads, it was proven upon inspection of the gaskets... Had the heads milled (ever so slightly) and new gaskets, and she is back on the road without issue...

Replacing the thermostat is trivial, give it a shot first. But don't dismiss a bad head gasket because of lack of the 'signs'.
Same signs with my car and same problem.

How does your coolant overflow bottle look? Any black gunk in it? How does it smell? Get the hydrocarbon test done to verify.

In my case the gasket failed, though the heads and block were flat and true. Dealership wanted $1800 to do the job. I did it myself.

Good luck, but I think it's your head gaskets.

Todd