Thread: What can we do?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Quinn Whipple

possible solution to problem

Here are the issues and problems and some proposed solutions.

Issue 1. subaru-svx.net is popular (good problem to have)
Issue 2. subaru-svx.net needs bandwidth to support it's growth
Issue 3. subaru-svx.net needs to ensure that the dedicated server stays secure.
Problem 1. Bandwidth costs money.
Problem 2. Management costs money.
Problem 3. Resources to keep box live to the world have been negative flowing vs. positive flowing (costs more to keep it up that to move it or shut it down)

Solution:
QWK.net is in the web hosting business. Out of the approximately 2300 registered users of this site, many of you have personal web page space that you are paying another provider for. I would bet that the statistic is probably 15-20% have separate web pages for various hobbies, companies and your cars. If you guy's with the subaru-svx forum are willing to move your individual personal sites to qwk.net so that there is an increased revenue stream. I will rack the server in our managed space, I will have one of my full time techs make sure the box stays at current patch levels and I will double the bandwidth allocation that was currently going to this server. I would bet that out of the 2300(roughly) registered users that we could easily come up with a minimum of 100 accounts to transfer. I would prefer to see 150-200, but let's see if we can get a 100 first(about 4% of the registered users).

Based on the bandwidth that we have seen consumed, this server will become congested with the bandwidth allocation that will be available after it moves. The best solution is to keep it connected with a large pipe to the world, but the cost has to be justified.

This is simple business marketing. If you help generate revenue to justify the allocation of time and resources then I will make sure the box stays secure and is fed with good, pure, bandwidth.

If you guy's want to do this, I will create some new hosting plans dedicated for this transfer so that we can track the users that sign up.

Let me know what you guy's think. Let's make this a win/win situation.

Quinn
QWK.net