View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up Some solid events coming up in August...

This coming weekend I'll be at Radford University for my local SCCA club's event #7. This will be followed up by the WDCR event #5 at Fedex Stadium the following Sunday. The best is saved for last, as I'll be at the two day North Carolina Autocross Championships being held at Danville Regional airport on 8/25-8/26.

I'm trying to do a few of these 2 day events in 2007 as I prepare for the '08 season where I plan on doing at least one National Tour event, and three Pro Solo events followed by a trip to Topeka for the Pro Finale.

In other news, I'll be switching tire brands to run Hankooks Z214's:

These tires come in three different compounds. A hard C30 compound for road-racing, a medium C50 compound for autocross/road racing, and a softer C70 compound for autocross only. I'll be picking up a set of 245/40/17 C50 compound tires pretty soon, and depending on my experience with them, I'll run C70 compound tires next season. These tires run $199 each from Frisby Tire, and are much cheaper than my current Hoosiers which run $237 each from The Tirerack. From several accounts on sccaforums, these tires are taking road racing by storm and are proving to be as fast as the Hoosier R6, and in autoX good drivers are winning National Tour and Pro Solo events on this rubber and can match the times of drivers on Hoosier A6's.

Here's a stack of 245/40/17 Z214's stacked up next to a set of 225/45/17 RE070's (my current street tires):

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)