Thread: 16 + volts
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 04:26 AM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU
[B] Along with redoing all the wiring that goes to the alt.

For goodness sake do not just simply replace all the wiring to the alternator. This would make a mess off what is probably a perfectly good loom. If there is a wiring fault it should be easily found and corrected but I can not see this being the problem.

I go along with Beav and his practical experience. If there is over voltage at the + battery terminal there can be no open circuit in the wiring to the alternator unless ther is a separate wire to provide the regulator with a reference voltage which would be very unusual.

A short circuit taking the field to earth need not involve a solid state component and there are components in the regulator that can go open circuit and defeat its operation. There is every indication that the regulator is faulty in spite of what you have been told by the shop that fitted the alternator of which it is part and parcel and your problem is with them. Was it in fact new or a reconditioned unit ?

The only external wiring fault which could increase the output voltage would be an open circuit in a separate dedicated wire from the battery + to the regulator to monitor battery voltage.

If Beav is still tracking this thread he will be able to advise on this. In the absence of such an external circuit the fault must be within the alternator.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-20-2002 at 04:43 AM.