View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question Who's driving with original parts?

My mental exercise with a decade's worth of SVX companionship has prompted me to ask this question. With all the grief found within this site dedicated to failure, or what's about to fail, I got to thinking; yes, dangerous, but nonetheless - What HAVEN'T you replaced? I'm not concerned with the stuff that every car out there needs to keep rollin'; brakes, rotors, tires, batteries, belts, etc. - just the plastic & metal stuff that might seem to be "prone to failure, because it's a dam' SVX".

While this sort of bragging emits thoughts of "The kiss of Death", I'll begin the list because I'm not superstitous. (Knock on wood).

As far as I know, or at least in the last 10 years, my '92, build date Jan. 92 at 150K miles still has the original:

Engine, radiator & fans, alternator, master & brake cylinders, ABS module, coils, fuel injectors, climate control system & A/C compressor, stereo (front door speakers need help), power antenna, power seat, auto-belts, sun roof, all lighting except a couple dash LEDs, exhaust system, drive train, suspension, struts, & wheels.
And....the infamous slush box, while replaced over 10 years ago, has hummed along for close to 90K with one power flush 50K ago.

If I've overlooked something else pertainent, it's probably because it's still working.

Anyone else dare to do some boasting?

Ron (now gritting teeth).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 01-20-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling