View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Gas Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydan View Post
Ok everybody... I am having a hard time troubleshooting this one. I don't drive my SVX daily, sometimes it can sit for almost a week without running. I have noticed that every time I start the car up after sitting, the gas gauge is showing less fuel than the last time I drove it. I also took into consideration that the gas gauge could just be reading inaccurately. However, based on the amount of gas the car took when i refueled it, some had definitely gone somewhere.

To begin trying to narrow the focus of the problem, i tossed the old gas cap, and put a brand new one on. With the new cap, nothing has changed. So, I don't think it is leaking out from there.

I am not getting any Check Engine or other lights indicating any sort of problem. Nor have I observed any gas smell around the car. I have stuck my head under it with it running as well as while it has been sitting cold and parked.

Finally, I parked the car over a spread out piece of cardboard to see what is leaking from the car while it is parked. I got a small amount of oil (which I knew about & expected), but nothing else!

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I should look next to figure out where my gas is going!? Premium fuel definitely isn't getting cheaper!!

Thanks!
Hmmm, is it parked in a garage or outside? If its outside, suspect someone popping open your fuel door and siphoning your gas.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.