View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
I wonder why I am getting such little mpg's? I know living in NYC is tough on gas mileage but that much of a difference? I wonder if something is wrong?
Paul, some engines can be sweeter than others, and the gearbox plays a part too. Anybody getting over 28 at highway miles is driving steadily with the torque converter locked up.

My JDM Claret used give 20 - 22 city driving [10 miles plus] and 26-28 between cities [100 miles plus]

And one time on a return journey to Cork [160 miles each way] I actually did over 500 miles on a tank, which included touring and sightseeing. Only one time, but it did it to my surprise.

I suspect a lot of your driving is short runs in traffic. Your mpg is suffering because every time you drive the engine has to warm up. Your winter mileage will also lower your average because NY is cold. You might consider partially covering the rad in cold weather, especially if your drives are all less than 5 miles [don't cover the LHS lower corner, the oil cooler is there!].

You should also consider if you need to be driving with the aircon switched on all the time. It's probably costing you 3 mpg or more.

Another thing you should consider is tire pressure. I drive mine all the time at 35 F 33 R. It makes no difference to handling or braking, but is a definite help to gas mileage.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl