View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 06:56 PM
The Molinator

IMPROVING BRAKES

"My mech says I've got a sticky caliper...........and I could hear it loud and clear"

First, what did your sticky caliper sound like?

ANS: I got seals/booties from Subaruparts.com (I like them>>usually prompt and prices discounted substantially). If you're mechanically inclined, you can clean calipers and replace seals. It took me some time! I would use brake solvent (spray) next time. I wanted to paint calipers, but heard it was likely paint would come off later when normal operating temperatures were so high! The only real difficulty was trying to replace (front, I believe) caliper piston booties! Finally, I developed a technique where you place piston end of booty onto piston, then rotate back and forth the caliper end of booty into caliper groove (MUST BE GREASED) at outer end of piston cylinder. Then the piston can be slid against booty (already seated in caliper groove) into the caliper cylinder. The booty cannot be placed in the caliper groove AFTER the piston is in place (even if fully seated)!!! I can help you some more with this if you do it yourself.

Obviously, I apparently didn't rebuild adequately (?) because it appears the floating caliper pins are binding still.

Bleeding is straightforward, but there is a sequence you need to follow. Search for that info here or get from an SVX dealer/mechanic. I rebuilt the calipers, installed SS lines, and installed high-tech brake pads all at once, so I don't know what each part played! Wish I did, but I often do 2 or 3 things at once to save time, so I'm always a little in the dark as to which did what!!! I do know my brakes are about 50% better!

KEEP in touch!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 02-12-2004 at 07:01 PM.