View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

Things are going well. There are still a couple loose ends to tie up still - I have to finish the shifter trim from the post above, and still need to wire the reverse lights.

Two issues that I've run into so far though: One is that the first time I start the car in the morning it will run around 2000 RPM and does not settle as the engine warms up. From some searching it seems that this is something that happens to MT swapped cars. My workaround for it is to get the car driving in 3rd, shut the engine off and refire. The idle then instantly drops back down to ~1400 cold and ~700 warm. Subsequent starts during the day, even after sitting for 8 hours, are normal.

The other issue is that the new driveshaft I just installed rubs against something. By the sound I believe it's the steel cup on the transmission tailshaft, it sounds too "ring-y" to be the heatshield. I've still got to jack the car up and inspect.

In terms of overall effect though, I love it. Between the transmission and coilovers the car is a total blast to drive. Second gear through a corner, squeeze on the power through the exit and feel the torque instantly. Anything you do to the throttle is instantly translated to the wheels, whereas the automatic seemed more keen to turn pedal movement into changes in noise, followed eventually by acceleration.

One slightly annoying thing is that my Legacy is also a 6MT but with SI-Drive. In the "Intelligent" mode the throttle response is extremely damped down. This makes rolling out from a stop a very different process between the two cars. The SVX instantly jumps to 1500 RPM, but the Legacy needs a little more prodding. The difference between the EG33 and EJ255 are also very marked. The H6 has no issue driving around at 1500 RPM or less, while the H4 hates being below 2000.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl