Thread: revving in D
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Spot on. You're not confused at all!

The oil [atf] cooler is a liquid/liquid cooler or heat exchanger if you like. Because liquids are better in terms of heat capacity than gases such as air, they can heat more quickly or cool more quickly, depending on the temperature differential.

For this very reason I don't like to see people disconnecting the OEM oil cooler after they put in an additional cooler. The OEM cooler is designed to be proficient at getting the coolant, which is heating up, to warm up the ATF oil, so the gearbox is working efficiently in a short space of time.

However, bear this one fact in mind; this man is driving his car in sub zero temperatures. The thermostat will close off the radiator in very cold situations in order to let the engine warm up in the jacket to get to good temperature for the engine oil.

If driving with the thermostat closed so the rad is not in use, you have a very cold rad getting cooled more by the cold air of passage, so the oil coming from the gearbox into the corner of that rad is being cooled, not warmed, unless the thermostat opens.

In such driving situations the oil from the gearbox is going to be very heavy and viscous.

In fact, even if the thermostat was open and the rad was starting to heat up, I'll warrant the amount of cooling available from driving in the sub-zero air may well be sufficient to keep the oil temperatures colder than optimal anyway, particularly in a car like the SVX that ambles along at extremely low revs because of the way the gearbox instantly seeks the higher ranges.

I myself would tend to drive in 3 or 2 in such situations, but I like my heat when driving.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl