View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Overheating, First thing to do... try the HG Test.....

Edit: Go to the last page for latest

---------------------------------------------------
hg-test.wmv - 5.68 MB. This is 2 videos I made while doing my HG test... Combined into one file.

My test drive to get her warm was a mere 1.9 miles (my "test drive" route)
First leg is a 4 lane with Turning lane, 40mph speed limit, but at 3am at night, I go alittle faster. Second leg is Residential, 30 - 35mph. One big circle

by the time I was less then a few blocks from the house, my temp was reading dead center.

Once I got home, I took a towel and removed the Rad Cap. I am glad I got a towel and not just a small rag

Anyway, I tried filling it up with water, but I had the water pressure from the hose too high, and it just made it go everywhere (which is why at one point in the video, you hear the belt squeak)

After that, I lowered the pressure on my water hose to a trickle, refilled, and did the first test video.

then, turn the car off, refilled (which didn't take much) and did the 2nd test video.

Tell me what you think.... I feel its the HG, but maybe I am wrong? (that would be nice)

Also... if it is the HG... I will be doing it myself. However, It will be the first time I've done any major work to an engine. I will plan to set aside 2 full days (which is all I can get in a row) to do this.

is there a good how-to out there? Do I have to pull the engine out or can I do this with the engine in?

Just point me into the right direction... as I wont let something as small as a Gasket let Calista go down!

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)

Last edited by nsm484; 02-04-2010 at 05:38 AM.