View Single Post
Old 09-17-2003, 05:18 PM

Registered SVX
Sputnik, I will repeat my instructions with additions.

The small resistor I referred to IS the Ò computery thing Ò welded ( soldered ) to the terminals on the switch and these are the terminals you connect to.

You have done wrong in cutting both wires to the dropping resistor, you should have cut only one wire leaving the other intact. ----( The wire should be cut a short distance, I think the instructions say 5 inches, away from the plug which attaches to the resistor.) ---

Replace the dropping resistor if you took it out of the car. Reconnect one of the wires you have cut back exactly to where it came from.------ (Connect it back to the way it was before you cut it using a screw or crimp connector to make this repair, You will find the insulation covering on the wires coloured and you should connect together wires with the same colours.) ---- Get hold of a screw or crimp connector to make this repair.

You will then have two wires,---- (The ends of the remaining wire which you cut.) ---- with one going to the resistor.---- (Via the plug which plugs into the resistor behind the battery.) ---- Attach crimp connectors to these wires and connect them to the outer switch terminals which have the Ò computery thing Ò soldered to them. Leave the middle terminal with no connection. You should then be in business.

You now say : -- Ò BUT.. if i just put one wire back to the original resistor, then that leaves only one wire left to go to both terminals of the new switch. do i need to split the remaining wire (to the switch) in half or what? Ò

In a previous post you stated : - Ò what i did, and i'm probably wrong, is i cut the (original) resistor off, took it completely out, and there were 2 wires that went to it. i crimped on the connector bits and stuck them into the outside terminals on the new switch. Ò

N. B. It now occurs to me that may mean that you cut the wires close up against the plug which goes directly into the resistor, so that you now have no wires coming from the plug and resistor to connect to. If so you will have to get some new replacement wires connected back into the plug. An auto electrician should be able to do this for you. If you still do not understand what is required you should at the same time seek professional on the spot advice and if you do, copy all the instructions in this thread as well as the web site instructions and take them all with you.

Sorry, but I can give you no more assistance than that which I have now provided.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!