View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
Diagnosis? Car won't hold idle...

The '92 SVX had just had the alternator replaced with a brand new factory Subaru alternator.

I removed the alternator to place it in another SVX for testing purposes, then replaced it back into the original '92 SVX and put a re-built alternator into the other SVX. This is when the problem started.

At the same time, I also cleaned the short ram air intake cone, and re-installed the cone.

I drove the vehicle a few times since then, and it died on me while traveling down the road. I got it to re-start and drove it home. Now, I'm unable to start the vehicle, and have it idle correctly.

I can start the vehicle and keep my foot on the gas - at around 2500 RPM, and it'll run. If I let my foot off the gas, the vehicle will quit running. If I bring the RPM up to ~3000 RPM, the vehicle will start shaking like a monster V-8, vibrations which are not normal.

I've replaced the fuel filter as well, done recently (last three months). I checked the MAF by unplugging the unit to see if it would idle at all, and no luck there. It doesn't make a difference, limp mode isn't enough to keep the vehicle running.

Any clues or suggestions on something that might be a "common" problem area?