View Single Post
Old 09-04-2004, 03:51 PM

You guys may be right, but I'm in a real bind here. I already had AAA tow it to that garage. They generally only tow once per break down. Of course paying for a tow may be worth it. Townsend Automotive said the repair could cost as much as $2500 or maybe even more! (And I've just quit my job!) It may not even be done by Friday. Actually, since Monday's a holiday, they won't get around to starting it till Tuesday. Just for pulling the oil pan, checking the crankshaft, and replacing the seal, they've estimated the price at about $400. (That's planned for Tuesday.) If they find that there are broken rods, they'll have to take the head off and pull the engine. They said it is a too time-consuming job to charge an hourly labor rate.

The friend who I was staying with has a friend whose father or uncle is a mechanic at a Subaru dealership. Maybe that's worth checking out. My friend is now out of the county for weeks, so I don't know where I'll be staying, maybe I can stay with one of his friends. Even my access to the Internet is limited. I've rented a car and driven to visit friends in southern California for Labor Day weekend since nothing is being done to my SVX. I really wish I had a better option than leaving it where it is or towing it all the way to Santa Cruz, where I really don't know anyone.

My last car's death was due to the fact that it had thrown a rod. That made a similarly patterned sound, but much, much louder. I was able to drive that Sunbird for a couple of days after it was diagnosed before it's engine went. That was a very loud clatter and was acompanied with a big puff of smoke out the exhaust.