Thread: Turbo Update
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM

Logging and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
Sounds good. Yea i did not mean a narrowband. A narrowband sensor does no more then tell the computer weather the car is running rich and lean, its noting more then that, its not a tuning tool.

Logging EGTs can tell us a lot about your ignition as long as we can verify your lambda is where it needs to be and when. Especially so on a high compression low boost application that is not intercooled such as yours.

I also am interested in the type of compressor you are using, as in trims and a/r as i have a feeling that if you infact cannot run as much timing as lan can it has much to do with some low density charges, remember reguardless of the charge temp since you are running off the gate your turbo will make the same amount of manifold pressure fairly consistnatly.

I think the next step will be temp probes before and after the turbo, if i can get your precharge and charge temps along with ambiant temps i can give you a good picture of what is going on (find the efficency of the compressor and what is caughing it up ) . MAF based systems drawing air before the turbo can sometimes have problems since the temp is a function of the overall voltage required to heat the sensor filament. speed density system often reference at the throttle body, your referencing preboost, precompression, and preheat. Whereass the total air entering the engine is still constant the amount of advance may be too high, and knock beiing detected will cause a pull obviously.

I dont have a ton of TEC experience but i do have experience with hondata, chrome and AEM. Also have you tried removing the air filter for a run or two? If your aif filter is posing a restriction it can increase charge temps since the compressor is strained to meet the same pressure ratio but work against gravity to do so, creating low density pressure.

Anyways my email is phillip.gantz@gmail.com

phil

I'm investigating ways to bring my A/F readings into my Tec II. The nice thing about the tec 2 is I can change the calibration curve to be linear. Problem is it must be between 1 and 0 volts. A/F outputs on a wideband are typically 1-2 volts. There are output options on the A/F unit, that allow it to be calibrated similar to a narrowband (kind of defeats the purpose). But it might work for some basic tuning. Then I could throw the narrow band back in, recalibrate it, and just set my low MAP settings to run fairly lean. A/F feedback control points can be reset to shut off above a certain RPM, and it is recommended to do this, as the A/F is not that well controled.

My EGT has a logging output wire. I would just need to figure out how to wire it into the Tec. I don't think that I can do that, but I'll check. I could switch something like the coolant sensor, which doesn't do much other than change enrichements based on if the engine is cold or not. This could perhaps be disabled? Like I said though, I basically make sure that the EGT is not going much above 800 C at redline. If it starts to go to high, its time to add more timing. If I get detonation....pull timing.

I do not have the turbo info in front of me. I'm going to have to dig for that. I wrote it all down. it is a T4/T3 hybrid. I was having overboost issues before. I have since ported the wastegate. I am not having them anymore. I'm also not running out of fuel and "choking" the engine. Harvey swore it was a problem with my upipe. I think we can eliminate upipe interfereance at this point. No problems there.

I am only running about 3 psi of boost now for testing. Starting out at idle I am running at about 54 C. At 3 psi I run about 59 C. That's not too bad. Don't forget I am doing water injection over 1 atmosphere. Ambient temps are probably in the low to mid 90 F. You have a very good point about the intake piping. BTW in case you didn't know, this is a MAP based system that does not use a MAF. I could disconnect the intake piping and connect my cone filter very close to the turbo. Right now I am running pipe as a cold air intake into the turbo. The additional strain on the turbo may cause higher temps. So basically the additional pipe may not be worth it. I may take your advice and give that a try. See if the underhood temps are affecting my ambient more than the additional piping.

I'll shoot you some files by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for the chats.

Take Care

Chuck D.