View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: Thinking the 3.3 has got to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
No twin turbos... keep it simple. Built STi engine? Why? Drop in a stock one. Do you think my 400+ STi was built? Can you imagine the cost of a fully built 3.3? If you went that route, you'd still be N/A, no where near 300hp and still have to do something about the EM & tranny. Meh, turbos are fairly cheap. and the biggest expense out of the whole idea is the 6MT... they can (note I said can) be pretty expensive.

As for engines... (just for reference)
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/UsedEngines.htm
Don't forget the fact that the SVX engine bay is completely different from a WRX and that you will still be designing the turbo piping from scratch.

So turboing an EG33 or an EJ motor in an SVX engine bay will be the same. (Minus obviously the headers and TB design).

Building an EG block isn't much more expensive than an EJ (as long as you stay away from a lot of head work).

Pistons can now be had for a decent price, rods are out of an STi, and cams I believe are somewhere in the $400 range ($800 for a full set, I was pretty far off here)?

The price you would pay to semi-build an EG33 would probably not be much more than it would cost you to have someone work out the wiring to have an OBDII EJ motor put into an OBDI vehicle.

I'm not trying to stop you from doing this, just letting you know the main reason why this swap hasn't been done before.

There are plenty of people on here who will give you crap about this, but there are also some of us who (while being stubborn enough to want to mod an SVX) realize that a motor swap isn't exactly the best/cheapest decision.

To weigh the options a little better, I present you with this:

A Turbo SVX w/EG33 and 5-6mt:
  • 5-6mt swap
  • Built EG33 that will be $$$
  • Custom turbo system

A Turbo SVX w/EJ## and 5-6mt:
  • 5-6mt swap
  • Motor swap w/wiring that will be hell and $$$
  • Custom turbo system

Keep in mind that is a very basic list on both sides.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 03-30-2010 at 02:35 AM.