View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 07:40 PM

Replaced my alternator belt

My car died at Costco at 7:30 in the morning, while filling up for gas. I heard a a clicking sound when I attepted to turn the engine on, I thought it could be my starter. So I had my car towed to the local Subaru deal. Would you know it, my car started at the dealer! I got charged $ 40.00 for half an hour to say that the cause could be a weak battery or a possible weak connection to the electrical system. So on the way home, I was at a red light, when I noticed my radio started to fade, and then I noticed almost all my electrical power was gone. I immediately shut off my radio, heater and all the other electrical stuff, I did not need. So to say my car died as soon as I shut off the engine again in my drive way. Make a long story short, I took off my alternator and battery to my local autoparts shop to be tested. Battery was a little weak, had that charged for free while I was there. And my alternator tested fine as well. So I am came to the conclusion, that it was the alternator belt was slipping. The orginal tension was fine, but I think over time, the belt got old and glazed on the side where the belt touches the pulleys. I was a bit surprised that the local autoparts store had the alternator belt in stock. I bought a Good Year Poly-V Flextra, the belt is the same width as the Subaru stock and was also grooved out for the pulleys. What a world of differance it felt after I installed it. My engine sounded and felt like new again when I drove it! Anway FYI for you people that need a alternator belt. Hope this helps.

Good Year Poly-V Flextra #345k5 part number. Cost me $14.00 U.S.D. Hmm, I wonder what it would of cost me at the dealer to finally come up with that conclusion???